Poppy had her final soccer game of the season on Friday night (They won! Whee!), and we went straight from the soccer field to the Japanese steakhouse to celebrate our 5-year-old friend’s birthday. I loved the “clear soup” served at the beginning of the meal, Pete ate nearly all of his Hibachi shrimp and Poppy ate least tried her Yakitori. I call that a win.
The kids loved the show the chef put on at the table, despite their initial concern about the flames. Poppy even tried to catch a bit of fried egg in her mouth — “tried” being the operative word; it ended up on the birthday girl.
On Saturday we took advantage of the parents’ night out at Pete’s tae kwon do place so Rockford and I could go see “Star Trek Into Darkness,” where I ate popcorn for dinner and spent a few hours trying to decide whether Benedict Cumberbatch makes a better good guy or bad guy. (My final conclusion: Bad Guy. He makes bad look pretty darn good.) The kids were exhausted when we picked them up, and they went to sleep with zero fuss when we got home. It was a win-win-win-win Saturday night.
- Monday: Pot luck dinner
- It’s our homeschool co-op’s Demo Night, when the kids show off what they’ve been doing this session. Pete is very excited about his role as the Big Bad Wolf in his puppetry class’s performance of “The Three Little Pigs.” I’ll be bringing Black Bean and Corn Salad and at least one peanut butter sandwich.
- Tuesday: McAlister’s Deli
- One of my goals this week is to actually do Weight Watchers. (I’ve been paying for their services for quite awhile, but as it turns out that alone isn’t at all effective.) So yesterday I looked up the McAlister’s menu to figure out what I’d be ordering. I’ll either get the “choose two” with a chicken salad sandwich and a chef’s salad — for a total of 17 Points — or just the regular-size, 12-Point chef’s salad.
- Wednesday: Pizza subs
- The kids made lists this weekend full of options for their kids’ choice nights. And yet, we’re having pizza subs again. Maybe Poppy will pick something else next time.
- Thursday: Crunchwraps
- With all the talk about food and kids’ choice night, Rockford asked if he could have a Rockford’s Choice night. Which means we’ll be having crunchwraps every Thursday.
- Friday: Baseball game
- The game we were going to go to a few weeks ago was rained out — they still played, I guess, but we didn’t go — so we’re going to try it again this week.
What’s for dinner at your house this evening?