We’ve spent the last couple of months packing, and then we were moving, and now we are unpacking. It still feels a little surreal to be in a different house and especially strange to be in a different part of town. We’d been in the same general area since we moved here a decade ago, and the view from the other side of town is very different. We’re getting used to it, though, and I’m enjoying finding new favorite restaurants and haunts.
I’m also enjoying unearthing the cookbooks that’ve been packed away for awhile, and after revisiting them I’ve realized that I’ve never made anything out of some of them. So we’re going to fix that by making (most/some) Saturdays Cookbook Day. We’re starting with “Cúrate: Authentic Spanish Food from an American Kitchen.” (Cúrate is a very fancy establishment that I’ve only been to once.) I don’t think I’ve ever made Spanish food before, but I’ve enjoyed eating it a time or two. Most of the recipes in the cookbook are a bit intimidating — squid ink pasta, anyone? — so I found the least-scary-sounding one.
I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to follow a strict schedule for Saturday Cookbook Day. If I decide to go straight across the bookshelf, we’ll be enjoying something from the Vincent Price cookbook one week in the near future.
- Saturday: Chicken Breasts with Sherried Mushrooms
- I’m not a big fan of mushrooms, but other mushroom dishes I’ve had at Katie Button’s eateries have been wonderful so we’re going to give this a shot.
Narrator Voice: She did not make the Chicken with Sherried Mushrooms.
- Sunday: Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken and stir-fried veggies
- I pinned this cashew chicken recipe on Pinterest a long, long time ago, and I finally made it last week. It was delicious, but I felt like it needed some veggies. Rather than adding them to the crockpot, though, I’m going to make a veggie stir-fry as a side dish.
- Monday: Breakfast for Dinner
- I’d never had a soft-boiled egg before my Dad was here to help us move a few weeks ago. He made them for breakfast one morning, and they were delicious. And then he showed me how easy they are to make. We’ve eaten roughly 10,000 soft-boiled eggs since then.
- Tuesday: Spaghetti and meatballs
- I need to find a sweet spot in the number of meatballs I make. Last time I didn’t have enough to freeze, but there were too many for us to eat at one meal.
- Wednesday: Teigen Chicken
- So technically these are supposed to be lettuce wraps, but I didn’t like how they fell apart when I made them the first time. I’m going to try my hand at making some Mandarin pancakes — think mu shu wrappers — this time.
- Thursday: Carnitas
- I picked up a chile verde sauce from Aldi this week, and I’m thinking it’ll go nicely with a pork shoulder in the slow cooker.
Hungry for more? Check out the Menu Plan Monday linkup at OrgJunkie.