I’ve been yearning for fall weather — just like I always do this time of year — so over the weekend I tried to conjure up some cooler weather by making Mrs. Happy Homemaker’s Beef Stew for dinner. It purports to be the Best Beef Stew Ever, and it is pretty terrific. It has a nice flavor and the beef was really tender, but I felt like the potatoes were working overtime to make up the bulk of the dish. Next time I’ll add a few more carrots and maybe also some red wine in place of some of the water.
I started the stew in the slow cooker around 10:30am and didn’t have to touch it again until dinnertime. I need to remember to put the slow cooker to use more frequently on the weekends. It helped us have a super-relaxed Sunday.
- Monday: Chicken and dumplings
- Yesterday’s beef stew was tasty, but it didn’t quite convince fall to make an appearance. Maybe Rachael Ray’s chicken and dumplings will do the trick.
- Tuesday: Breakfast for dinner
- Breakfast for dinner is generally a very basic affair. This week, though, I’m going to make a hashbrown casserole a la Cracker Barrel.
- Wednesday: Spaghetti
- I’m going to let you in on a secret: I already don’t want spaghetti for dinner on Wednesday. But I had pasta and sauce in the pantry, so we’re going to use it. By golly.
- Thursday: Poppyseed chicken casserole
- I used to make a lot of recipes that called for cream-of-something soups. I’ve mostly stopped making them, but there will never be a day when Poppyseed Chicken isn’t in my recipe box.
- Friday: Pizza
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Want more menus? Check out Menu Plan Monday at OrgJunkie.com.