A water main broke sometime in the early morning hours yesterday near our house, and we haven’t had water since. The original estimate was that the water would be back on last night at midnight. I woke up this morning and it hadn’t come back on yet, so I called the city’s water department to find out the new estimated fix-it time.
“Hello,” I said. “I’m in southeast WaterMainFailuresville, and I was wondering if they had a new estimate on when the water might be back on.”
“Well, there was a massive leak in the water main,” the lady replied.
“Yes, I know. Yesterday they said it would be back on by midnight, but it’s not on yet. Is there a new estimate?”
“It’s going to be a long time,” she said. “It caused a sinkhole, and they had to replace 8 feet of pipe.”
“Wow,” I said, trying to downplay my slight feelings of panic at the word “sinkhole.” Sinkholes are the scariest. “When you say ‘a long time,’ does that mean it’ll be today or more like sometime next week?”
“It’ll be today.”
“OK. I’ll just continue to be unshowered in the meantime,” I said. I thought I said it lightly, but she didn’t take it that way.
“Look, we can not fix it and you can be without water for a long time or we can fix it and you can be inconvenienced for a little while.”
“Ummm… thanks for your help.”
So my point is: This menu plan may or may not hold up, depending on when the city gets the repair done.
- Monday: Quesadillas
- Probably chicken and black bean for most of the fan. Definitely just cheese for Poppy.
- Tuesday: Sloppy Joes
- Once upon a time I found the perfect crusty hamburger roll for these. I should’ve written down the brand, because now I can’t remember which one it was.
- Wednesday: The grocery store
- Kids eat free this week at one of our local groceries! And they have pretty great food, so we’re going to take advantage of the offer.
- Thursday: Crispy garlic chicken
- Maybe with au gratin potatoes, because there’s a box of them in the pantry.
- Friday: Dinner with friends
- I think we’re going to their house, but I’m not entirely sure.
Now I’m going to go over to the gym to take a shower! How’s your day going so far?
I’m linking this up with OrgJunkie.com’s weekly Menu Plan Monday thing.